Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Fashion Week Outreach NYC- More short stories.

Backstage I was able to tell dressers about Christ and encourage their lives. It even got to a point where I was telling one dresser about Jesus and then another came up to me and asked "Will you tell me how you became a Christian?" I got to help them, love them, remind them of their value, comfort hurting hearts, and laugh with them when things got too stressful. It was amazing to see God use seemingly simple interactions to deeply impact lives. .



The models are young, far from home, and exhausted- we were able to pray for them, encourage them, and lavish love on them. One girl said she had been modeling for years and can remember only 4 dressers that cared about her in all of those years, my friend Jen was one of them. One model said she hated New York because no one was kind to her, except me. A male model was speechless when he realized that one of our girls was genuinely listening to him. He was shocked, he said that he is very alone and no one ever listens to him. My friend was able to spend time listening to him as he shared about his lifestyle that was made up primarily of drinking and modeling. He opened up about his dream of having a home one day. By the end of the show he thanked her from his heart for taking the time to treat him so kindly. It meant the world to him.


I was staying in the same building that P. Diddy lives in, so after praying for him for a few days I decided to buy him a Halmark card, write an encouraging note in it, and drop it off at his office across the street. I was assured that he would get it.


I met many people in the lobby that I was able to pray for and encourage with the love of Christ. At one point we were in line standing behind a woman that had met me in the morning, she didn't realize we were behind her, but she was excitedly saying, "There are Christian models here! They are praying for me!" Overall everyone we met was really open to share about their lives and their desire to see God work in them. One of my friends from our team, Kayla Sanders, led a girl to the Lord after spending the day praying for her, sharing with her, encouraging her, and reminding her of God's love. Such an awesome story!


One gorgeous woman was next to me in line. She was from Mexico and her classy husband was clearly a man of power. I can't remember who he worked for but it was apparent that he was wealthy and extremely successful. At one point he had stepped away from the line and I asked the woman how I could be praying for her. We had been talking already and she knew I was Christian so it was the perfect time to ask. She was both surprised and incredibly grateful. After remaining quiet for a bit she began to get tears in her eyes, she said that her husband works all the time and she was wondering if I would pray that her marriage would work out.

I met Tyson Beckford and told him I'd be praying for him. I attempted to meet Justin Bieber and Usher as well, but there were too many screaming girls in the way for that to happen, so I just prayed for them.


No comments:

Post a Comment